Search This Blog

Friday, November 29, 2019

The Good, The Bad, and the Turkey

The good: Bright Line breakfast and dinner

The bad: two bites pumpkin pie - no crust, two coconut cookies, cheese & salami snack.

The Turkey: Sandwich for lunch and soup for dinner.

It was a productive day. In the morning I packed up three lunches using left over turkey and microwaving some broccoli & corn for 6oz veg in each container. I flavored the veggies with a little butter and poultry seasoning in keeping with the holiday spirit.

While the fam was out I moved some furniture around, getting the bookcase out of the living room to make room for the Christmas Tree. It's a very pretty tree, picked out by A, and I am guessing we will decorate it tomorrow.

This morning I also made turkey stock, and this afternoon I used it to make turkey rice soup for dinner. There are five bowls leftover in the fridge, bringing my prepared meals count to 8. Of course I am expecting some help in eating them, but that is fine. And I still have another bag of bones in the fridge to make another batch of stock, but I think I will freeze them for another weekend.

About the soup. It's full of mixed vegetables (corn, peas, green beans, carrots), diced red rhubarb, plus onions and celery (the herb mix prepared by the store is flavorful shortcut for making soup). Then a cup of rice and simmered until done, and finally the chopped turkey to warm up at the end. Delish. Anyway, I decided that I would weigh out each bowl to 14oz; 6oz veg + 4oz protein + 4oz whole grain. I'm not too concerned about if the proportions are correct; I know I'm eating a reasonable amount of food and that it's all good.

I picked up more canned pumpkin at the store this morning, but there's no room in the fridge to make another batch of custard what with all the leftovers taking up so much real estate. I've really enjoyed having the warm yummy custard the last few mornings, and hopefully by Sunday there will be room in the fridge and I'll bake another batch.

(b)  pumpkin custard
(l)   turkey sandwich (as planned - no grain for breakfast and two servings of Ezekiel bread)
(d)  turkey rice veggie soup

I'm looking forward to another two days off of work, and hopefully the rain will hold off enough to get some decorating done tomorrow. Tis the season. Which reminds me of Joey, and that he's not here. I still think of him everyday, and sometimes the pain still comes. But living with my grandchildren fills my days with love and distractions, and while I miss who he could have been, it's just a dream I hold in my heart.

A friend once said that she misses her son too, that he is on the other side of the world, like it was the same thing. I hope she never knows the difference.





No comments: