Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Bright Line Pumpkin Custard - a work in progress

This does not follow the eating guidelines as put forth in Bright Line eating plan. It does conform to the Bright Lines I have drawn against flour & sugar. I started with an online low carbohydrate recipe, and updated it to replace fake sugar with pureed dates.

1 15oz pumpkin
4 Eggs
1.5 tsp vanilla
1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Dash  apple pie spice
1C half n half
2oz chopped pecans
1 tsp butter

I whipped everything together except the butter and pecans, then evenly distributed between three bowls that are oven proof. I threw the pecans and butter in the microwave for 30 seconds then stirred to coat before sprinkling over the three bowls of custard. (The butter was to keep the nuts from burning.)

350 degrees for an hour and they were cooked perfectly. One I ate for breakfast and the other two are stored in the fridge. It was delicious, and too filling. Each bowl was a serving of protein, a fruit and a fat. I didn't think about missing a whole grain! Next time I will add another protein serving (blended white beans? flax? cottage cheese?) and cut the cream in half so I have four servings to stretch the pumpkin farther. I'm not sure if it's right counting it as a fruit, but it is. There were about five dates in each serving so I think I am counting it as 5oz of fruit and then the dates make up the 6th oz. I'll have to think about the whole grain component. Maybe use the Ezekiel cereal with the nuts for a sort of 'crumble' topping. Yes! With cinnamon! Sounds like a plan.

Anyway, a keeper for a hot breakfast on a winter morning. I guess tomorrow I will see what happens when I warm it up in the microwave.

I stayed busy all morning picking up and taking things out to the garage. The fam is back from treatment, and my quiet morning is over. It was nice, but even nicer to have them home.  Time to make lunch and watch a Christmas movie.
-------------------------------
On a whim I decided to head out and catch a movie - basically get out of the way for a while - and without even thinking about it too much braved the rain and arrived at the theatre just in time for Frozen II. I thought that while parts were silly, overall it was wonderful; loved the animation and story. I'm such a child. I had a small bag of popcorn with 'butter'. So one bright line down (snacking.)

(b) pumpkin custard
(l)  leftover pot roast, roasted carrots, celery & onion
(d) Star burger, no bun, and criss-cut fries - and there is the second bright line down (flour.)

Now that I know wheat flour is the 3rd ingredient I won't ever order the criss-cut fries again. I was on my way to the kitchen to make dinner when M said he was going to CJ's and did I want anything. I barely hesitated before placing my order.  Who cooks the night before Thanksgiving?

So feeling more full than usual, I don't like it, and there is a gross taste leftover in my mouth, which I am also not enjoying. On the one hand I am sorry for my dinner, but on the other hand I think I will remember this feeling and remember to just say no next time. I realize I should have just said (to myself) Not My Food in the first place - but it's been that kind of day I guess.

I am looking forward to tomorrow, and having a nice sit down dinner with family. I've journaled what I will have the next two days so I am mentally prepared for both the feast and the next day's leftovers. I'm a little worried about Friday. Typically around here it's a free for all with Turkey sandwiches flying out the kitchen in abandon. There are so many favorite ways to prepare one; mayo & cranberry; mayo & mustard; gravy & dressing. My plan is one sandwich with mayo & mustard for lunch, then regular Bright Line leftovers for dinner.  Then turkey for days in stoup and veggie rice casserole and on and on.

And I'm out of steam, and ready to wind down for the evening. In other words, there is a fire in the living room that is calling my name.



No comments: