Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Another day, Human style

The kids brought in chicken terriyaki for dinner a couple of nights ago. I had saved the leftover veggies and rice, and tonight I pulled them out for dinner. I eyeballed the veggies as I didn't want to dirty another dish, but did weigh out the rice to 4oz. I heated them up then spooned over the meat marinara sauce that M had made for their dinner tonight. (They will have theirs over noodles.) With some Parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper it made a delightful, well rounded, dinner. I know it was light on protein, but that was intentional.

Because it was another screwed up day! No surprise here, it seems to be the recent theme.  R had already made real coffee by the time I was ready to rise, so I opted to drive through McD's for my decaf. I never cooked my grains yesterday, and wanted to get to work early and make up for some time lost yesterday. But I was hungry when I got coffee so ordered hash browns too.

The ingredients are disgusting for something that should be simple and wholesome.
Hash Browns
Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [wheat And Milk Derivatives]*), Salt, Corn Flour, Dehydrated Potato, Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (maintain Color), Extractives Of Black Pepper. *natural Beef Flavor Contains Hydrolyzed Wheat And Hydrolyzed Milk As Starting Ingredients

AND, besides having wheat and sugar in them, they contain hydrogenated soy bean oil, another no no. So no more! It's not an acceptable option anymore. If I can't take the time to make potatoes at home, then too bad for me. Along with my banana I was full ad thought it would be okay even without a serving of protein.

So on with the day. By ten am I was starving, and headed to Sprouts as planned.  They didn't have the meatball soup I wanted, so instead I picked up a chopped salad, some canned green beans, a Farro packet with mushrooms, and some chicken stock that was on sale. I also bought some egg bites to keep in the fridge at work for breakfast another day.

So I ate lunch before 11am, and by 3 I was starving again. Of course. So I decided it would be better to eat the egg bites than to succumb to a drive through or arrive home too hungry and without a clear plan in mind for dinner. I counted one as protein from breakfast and one towards dinner.

And all of that was a round about way of explaining why I wasn't concerned about my protein at dinner; I'd already eaten it. And while I don't feel good about not 'being on plan' I also have to recognize that it wasn't horrible. I ate cooked and fresh veg, all totaled up I had enough protein, and starch instead of grain. Oh, and there was watermelon with lunch so I had my two fruits.

A quick word about marinara. IMHO I think that as long as it's 'clean', no sugar, organic, I don't worry about measuring it. Having a reasonable serving of whatever you are covering keeps the quantity down naturally. 

Time to go, birthday decorations have exploded all over my bed!





No comments: