Search This Blog

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Donuts

Donuts. The trifecta of doom; sugar, flour, fat. Years and years ago a very smart young lady suggested I read a book about that. Googling to try and find the title, I came across several diet books going back years based on the premise of eliminating sugar & flour, of ditching the processed foods because they are addictive. Books on food addiction galore! How did I miss this for so long? Feeling like I was a food addict and seeking support I never ran across these. Maybe it was the timing. I did find Fuhrman and McDougal, but after three years and a change in my life circumstances I could no longer maintain the regimen and pretty much gave up on researching anything. I think I just missed the wave of awareness sweeping through the nutritional world. Or maybe it took Susan Thompson to present the science in a way that made sense to me.

Today was a typical Saturday. The only difference was that I struggled a bit today. Having donuts around is, I fear, wearing me down. But right now C will eat french fried and donuts so I have no complaints. He comes first and he needs the energy.  I had eggs over fried rice this morning, and pineapple for my fruit. That was about 8, and coming on to 11 I was hungry. I wanted to eat. To be specific, I wanted a donut. When the kids left for their errands they left an open box of entenmanns donuts on the kitchen counter. They are not trying to be cruel, just busy with their own doings. I closed up the box and semi-tossed it into the corner of the kitchen counter where the other snacks and breads accumulate. Then I halfheartedly started prowling for something to eat. I ended up having a 1oz slice of cheese over 4 triscuits. By then it was well after 11 and I decided an early lunch was better than a snack. With that in mind I found the 3oz bag of leftover porkloin and nibbled on that while thinking about what veggies I would have. Somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd slices of pork I was distracted by the sorting job I had been working on and forgot about lunch. So no veggies and no fruit for lunch.

Planning on making turkey meatballs for the worksgiving potluck next week I went shopping to by the ingredients of the quick and easy instant pot recipe. We had also watched Bobby Flay and the turkey meatloaf challenge so that was on my mind.  I came home with a top round roast, ground turkey and ground port. I threw sliced onions, mushrooms and carrots into the pot with the roast and beef stock for a sort of quick stroganoff. It was okay, but the time needs some tweaking. And again no salad. I did weigh out first the veggies and then the meat so my portions of those were spot on, but I was full and tired and so no salad.

I need to get back on track. I don't know why I am struggling now when the first month went so well.  I don't want to think about it, I don't want to waste any more of my life wondering why something isn't working. Sigh. I just need to weigh in tomorrow and see a loss and maybe that will be enough motivation. Mostly I just need to NOT be tired.

One day at a time;I'm glad this one is almost over.


No comments: