Search This Blog

Friday, January 31, 2020

Maybe a little too much TGIF

It has been Friday all day. Not just any Friday, but the one before Superbowl Sunday. So there was a festive feeling simmering below the normal relief and joy of it being the end of the work week. And at some point in the afternoon I was alone in the office. Alone with the last box of holiday chocolates. I should have thrown the four little chocolates on the floor or out the door. But instead I ate them, and I am trying to not feel as though I just wasted all of the hard work I put in this week. Big Sigh.

I'm not sure why I ate the chocolate today. Or why I ever go off plan for that matter. There was no big buildup, no tension, no drama. Just a sudden decision to have the chocolate. Who knows, maybe these little blips are what keep me going. A small indulgence apparently goes a long way to taming any thoughts of giving up? I wonder what the damage actually was. Calories? Maybe 800 tops? So a quarter pound that I didn't lose?  Or is the sugar the worst of it, the blast to dopamine receptors?

I did make it to the store for groceries on the way home from work, and R cooked up the ribs I found on sale in the instant pot. Always so delicious and perfectly tender. I threw together coleslaw (very minimal honey in the dressing) and corn went into the microwave. Now THAT is fast food.

(b)   Sprouted whole grain raisin bread, sharp cheddar cheese, apple
(l)   Chili w\ sr cream
(s)  chocolates
(d)  Ribs, corn, coleslaw

Valerian and the City of  a Thousand Planets, that's my post-dinner diversion. Dinner was very satisfying, and I am relaxed and content to be home. 
 
I'm still not sure about Sunday, and being around the snacking. I'm thinking lunch will be a plate of appies, and I'll have chicken wings and home made potatoe wedges and coleslaw for dinner; we'll see. I understand how celebrating without food may have it's value, but humans have traditionally - historically for millennium - used food to gather and celebrate. And, I am human.  Just like the other Holidays that have come and gone while following Bright Line Eating, I will keep flour and sugar to a minimum, take little tastes instead of large servings, and hopefully enjoy a great football game and commercials with the family. Then back on track with Bright Lines on Monday.

I hope I am not fooling myself, that in the long run I don't look back and regret these forays into the dark side after realizing in hind-sight that I was keeping my brain from a full recovery. But I have a fortune from a cookie on my desk at work that says, and I quote, "Always follow your heart and you will never be wrong." And my heart, and gut, are telling me to loosen the reigns for special occasions.

So for now I will continue as I started, and hopefully the scale will agree in the morning.

No comments: