Search This Blog

Monday, January 13, 2020

Dairy; a lifelong love affair, or a debilitating addiction

I've been using a blend of oat milk and coconut milk in my morning decaf. And I am not using as much cheese as usual in an attempt to see if it makes a difference in my inflammation. It definitely makes a difference in the amount of congestion I experience in my throat. And there is enough science out there on the net to know that where there is smoke there is fire and there is a big dark cloud of smoke leading from dairy to the growth of cancer cells. But I have been avoiding it, because I love cheese. It goes hand in hand with bread and the idea of giving them both up at the same time  was unimaginable three months ago.

I remember going to archery tournaments, and driving through for milk shakes on the way home. Within minutes I would have a clogged throat, but it never stopped me. And that's the addiction part I guess, doing something even though you know you're allergic, that it's bad for you, that it's one of the things keeping you fat. The saboteur had something to do with it too, I know that now.

So I know in the long run we will need to give up Dairy, and make healthier choices all around, so that A and C have better food in the house to choose from when hungry. So switching out my creamer is a start, albeit a small one, towards that end. And I am enjoying the change. There is enough fat for a good mouth feel and to cut the bitter out of the coffee. And clearing my throat less is nice too. Of course just writing this makes me want a grilled cheese sandwich. The perversity of human nature and all that.

(b)  cottage cheese, pumpkin seeds, ezekiel cereal, banana
(l)  meatballs, roasted veg, banana
(d)  lentil\ham soup, chopped salad

It was a hard day at work. Just a series of one thing after the other, keeping me frustrated and busy. But it's just a job, and I did the best I can as always. Taking a break to wash my dishes it was hard to ignore the boxes that still litter the kitchen counter. One in particular with 'Oh Nuts' on the top caught my attention and I peeked inside. There was only dried fruit left and I was able to close the box, finish my dishes, and get back to work. I'm calling it a win - I love dried fruit and was tempted for only a split second.

I'm hungry tonight, nothing new there, and I have a feeling that if M wasn't in the living room watching TV it would be challenging to not snack. It's been 4 1/2 hours since dinner, so I'm technically starting a fasting period. Focus on that, focus on burning fat instead of glucose. Focus on the immune system healing away instead of digesting extra calories that I don't need.

Pajamas, tea, bed, netflix. I can do this.

No comments: