Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Good Food

I decided that if I was to limit the amount of food that I was eating, and draw Bright Lines between myself, sugar, and flour, the remaining food should be good. No, better than good, delicious. I knew the only way to do this and not feel deprived would be to prepare meals that I loved. Mostly over the past three months I have done this. There has been the occasional quick black bean burger meal, but for the most part I have been cooking good, wholesome food.

Today I cooked. I made a pan of green beans with thinly sliced onions and used bacon grease for my fat. I also crumbled in three slices of bacon that was divided between four servings of beans. I always feel like I have to remind myself that I have not drawn a Bright Line for quantities or fat, and that I began this path determined to not feel deprived - to not 'diet'. I don't use saturated fat very often, and I did keep it to a minimum knowing there would be little bits of bacon in the dish.

I also baked a tray of mini-meatloaves that are wonderful; they are full of turkey, pork, zucchini, onion and spices. I had my first serving of them at lunch and they are juicy and delicious. I de-fatted the ham stock I made yesterday, and it's inside the instant pot pan in the freezer for an easy dinner tomorrow. For dinner tonight I roasted broccoli, onions, and sugar peas and a pork tenderloin. There was enough left after dinner for one more meal, so that makes five meals prepped for the next few days. I always feel better having prepped meals in the fridge, then I'll cook again on Wednesday if there aren't enough leftovers from dinner tomorrow night. It does amaze me that I can load a baking sheet with veggies and it will weigh out to only three 6oz servings.

(b)  eggs on Ezekiel toast with mustard, orange
(l)  meatballs and green beans
(d)  pork loin, veggies roasted in sesame oil, 1/2C white rice with Tamari

I'm full from dinner, and while I feel I did splurge a little today between the toast and rice, I know my Bright Lines are intact. It was a busy day, most of it spent in the kitchen, but it will make my week much easier and I am content. I am also tired. But today listening to the week one module I was reminded of how hard my body is working. Between burning fat instead of glucose and detoxing from the waste being released as my cells lose their fat - well, I should be tired. And resting. And at least 'traveling easy' while I am losing weight. And drinking plenty of water, which is easy to forget in Winter.

Time to hit up my Sudoku book and brew some night time herbal tea.

No comments: