Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Carnitas

I stopped for groceries on the way home after another long day, and was happy to find packages of seasoned Carnitas on sale, two for $7, a nice deal.  I picked up some veggies, the ingredients for the dinner the family was making, and headed home.

Instant Pot, high pressure, 40 minutes - 13 minutes release
2 lg green peppers diced
2 sm onions diced
3/4 large bag baby spinach
1 huge zucchini
1 32oz can crushed tomatoes
1 pkg carnitas
Shakes of Mrs Dash Table Blend, Chipotle Blend, Oregano & Cumin

Serving method:  glass container on scale, spoon out chunks of meat into dish, then flake off pieces until 4oz is left on the scale; repeat for five servings. One by one the containers go back on the scale and I use a slotted spoon to scoop out veggies until each container has 7oz veggies. Why 7? Because even with the slotted spoon there is still a lot of liquid. I ate one for dinner and have four left. Plus the 2nd package of pork for another meal in the fridge.

It was great having a big tub of salad veggies prepped from the weekend in the fridge, making it so easy to throw together a salad while waiting for the last 15 minutes to count down on the instant pot. And dinner was so delicious; spicy and juicy and filling. Usually I have my entree first because it's quick and easy to pop in the microwave after work. And then I struggle to eat the big salad. So tonight it was nice to switch it up and get that lovely full feeling after my carnitas was gone.

Because yes, I love to feel full. And I will remember this feeling as I lay in bed tonight feeling my tummy grumble about being empty. It's sort of nice to bounce back and forth between the two instead of being "always hungry and never satisfied."

I also picked up Triscuits, bananas, apples & oranges. Staples of winter!

(b) Ezekiel toast, PB, strawberries
(l)  lentil\ham veggie soup, orange
(d)  Carnitas, stewed(?) veggies, shopped salad

C has a tent in my room lately, and is hovering watching Paw Patrol on the 'big' tv while I type. He  has also discovered popcorn and has a cup of it with him. I am glad I am full and not tempted!

Tomorrow's food is planned, but I still have dinner dishes to do, so I am off to go tidy up. What a day it was, and what a week it has been so far. No, what a year! I need a raise! It would be nice to be able to buy organic again. Someday.



No comments: