Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Crockpot Beans with a little Whine

Today something happened that felt like....disrespect. For my intentions, my knowledge, my abilities as a communicator. I just turned 60, shouldn't I be past this? I'm not sure what it says about the human condition that A and I can both have our feelings hurt despite the gap in our ages. I guess I have enough experience to realize it's them, not me, and how I react is my responsibility. But I was sad driving home, and it was a couch potato kind of day; I was just exhausted emotionally and all desire to move had left the building. Now it's dark and I'm ready for bed and wondering if I should have watered the new sage plants before turning in.

tap tappity tap tap, "Yes?" "Did you forget your beans?" "I did, thanks!"  Off to the kitchen to put the black beans I had cooked for an hour earlier in the evening into the crock pot with a whole bag of fresh spinach, two 16 oz cans of diced tomatoes with onions, celery & peppers, then healthy dashes of cumin, chili powder and oregano. They will cook overnight on low and I'll take them out in the morning and throw them in the fridge. After work tomorrow I'll make bean soup, most or all of which will be blended and cooked down into 'refried' beans. Greens cooked into beans makes a luscious healthier version of the dish, and I am sure there will be a burrito or two in my near future. Or maybe Nachos next weekend; I do need to use up the rest of the sour cream. See, not helpless.

Time to tip out four tums, one for Kaley (she loves them) and three for me before I attempt to lay down. Another burning reason to MAKE HEALTHIER CHOICES. Sigh.

breakfast: decaf, sausage biscuit
lunch: kale salad like Monday
Snack: popcorn
Dinner: red potato, butter, sr cream
Dessert: well deserved hearburn

No comments: