Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2020

Soup's On

I began the soup horribly by sautéing a big batch of chopped red and white onions in some bacon grease. While they were simmering away (slowly for more flavour) I cleaned and halved a bag of Brussels sprouts, and chopped a bunch of carrots along with what celery was left in the fridge including the leafy hearts that I save for soup. Once that was done I poured the veggies into the pot with the onions, added a large 32oz can of diced tomatoes, then supplemented with three small bay leaves, poultry seasoning, and seasoned salt. As you can see, I have compensated for the bacon grease with lots of cruciferous veggies. Or so I tell myself.

Separately I cooked a batch of crimson lentils. Once the veggie soup is done, I can prep meals by adding in the lentils and some sausage for the protein, weighing them out separately to split the protein in each meal. I know I should be going vegetarian by now, and I will get there eventually, but no guilt surrounds my tardiness to achieving better nutrition.

Earlier this morning I sorted through yet another bag of stuff brought in from the garage, and this afternoon I will spend some time ripping through sensitive material on old tax returns. I've already toted two grocery bags of paper out to the recycling bin, and feel good about the progress. Yesterday the items we left for free on the driveway have been mostly picked through and left the premises; while I missed it R said it was fun watching the kids finding things they could take away with them. It just feels better to think our stuff has found a new home and not just gone to the garbage dump, although some of it will eventually end up there.

I must admit I still have two tubs in my room left to go through, but any progress is good and gets me closer to a clean room for Christmas.

Today's Food:

B: Refried beans & cheese, rice & Salsa, green grapes

L: Meatballs, corn, parmesan cheese, apple

D: Veggie soup w/ lentils & sausage, green salad


No comments: