Search This Blog

Thursday, December 24, 2020

A Walk, Some Gratitude, and Christmas PJs

Today C and I took a walk in the cold while his parents wrapped presents. The wind would push him away from me and he would cry, "I'm blowing away Grama, save me!" And I would. Taking his little hand in mine we would fight our way back to the path leading to the slide. Once there he was already tired, and suggested we better head home to play in the driveway. I willingly acquiesced,  my hip and knee not being a willing partner to the day's outing. On the way home I just kept telling myself, this is why you have to keep losing weight. This little walk is nothing and it's almost undoable, I have to do better; be better.

I am just back from dicing up dates to soak overnight in a cup of milk. We are making Mexican chocolate from scratch as part of our Bright Line Christmas breakfast, and I am counting on the dates to sweeten the milk enough. We add dates while cooking oatmeal as part of our fruit serving, and this is no different. Go ahead, google the nutrition of dates and you get everything from colon to brain health. A win win from top to bottom - literally.

It's a little bit quiet for Christmas Eve. Eventually we will all put on our matching pajamas and head out in the car to see some light displays; I hear there are some wonderful ones out there this year. Then it's home to tidy up before bed so we wake up to a cozy Christmas morning. I'm feeling under prepared, and the stockings may be a little lighter than usual. That tells me how much impulse buying I normally do this time of  year, and that online shopping isn't my cup of tea. 

I hope the local shops and restaurants survive. I hope the vaccine works, I hope the American people listen to their new president and we can stem the advance of Covid19 that is devastating so many families this holiday season. And I can't help but take a moment to give thanks for our continued vigilance and health. Because we do wear masks, and sanitize our hands, and stay at home except for the weekly trip for groceries. We are so fortunate in many ways; working remotely, having groceries delivered, or placing orders for a 'contactless' pick up.

I spent some time this afternoon browsing the official Facebook page for Bright Line Eating. There are so many inspirational stories, and I was surprised by how many times eating at 3am was mentioned. I am taking comfort and support from those posts, and will not be eating tonight. After five Bright Nights I have slipped the past two, and it just makes me sad. I don't want to be sad Christmas morning, so no snacking tonight. Period. I want another five Bright nights!

Time for plaid PJs I'm told, and I'm ready to join in the fun.

Happy Christmas Eve 💙

No comments: