Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Sugar Detox Redoux - Day 28/28

It's been approximately two months since I began to consciously withhold sugar from my decaf, honey from my tea, and 2pt ice creams from my normal daily routine. It's been six months since I ate any wrapped chocolate at work, or took seconds from a home made dessert brought in to celebrate a birthday. In those six months I have only gone to the corner store once for a pint of ice cream and eaten it alone. These are small but routine changes that certainly must have had an impact on my health. I haven't had any follow up bloodwork since January, but at the time my sugar levels were within the normal range. This wasn't about being afraid of diabetes, it was about hoping to remove the unexplained urges to eat when I obviously wasn't hungry.

Has it worked? Maybe. Maybe I need to be more stringent about removing all refined sugar. To say no when ice cream shows up in the fridge. To say no when a pudding cake arrives unbidden on the kitchen counter. To just always say no to sugar. I don't think I am there yet, but what I do know is that it's becoming easier. That my urges to eat are less if not gone. I rarely drive through for fast food after work, I often make breakfast at home now, and I feel this has been a good start to what needs to be a lifelong habit.

So I am calling this test a successful beginning as it has left me wanting to continue. To eat less sugar, to have less cravings, to remove empty calories leaving room for added nutrition. To keep striving to care more about what goes in my body, and just be more careful in general of myself.

I am worthy!

This was an exceptional day. A graduated Kindergarten with one of only three academic awards given to her class of 26. She is the class Author and Illustrator. Given my penchant for the written word I could not be more proud. She is now officially part of the HS graduating class of 2027. What!?  OMG.  See, I have to take care of myself so I can be there for her.

No sugar today! Lots of greens. Some nuts and seeds. Go me.

No comments: