Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

His Dark Materials

“We shouldn't live as if [other worlds] mattered more than this life in this world, because where we are is always the most important place.” 
― Philip PullmanThe Amber Spyglass

I am sad to come to the end of this trilogy. I had read the first book many years ago, and listened to the 2nd a couple of years ago, but somehow never made it to the third. I cried at the end, at the beauty of these imagined worlds, at the partings of the characters, at the idea of this human experience being more important than what may come next.

Because that is another bolt hole I have; my experiences of another reality, and that someday I get to 'go back' to where it's not so chaotic and hurtful and harsh. Of course I know that it's entirely possible that I have been upon occasion a little bit delusional in order to deal with the realities of this world. But it's much more comforting to believe in the experiences I have had than to think I have wasted this one opportunity to really experience a life that offers so many delights in this human form.

We do what we can. I will try to behave as if this life is the most important one. That where I am is the most important place. Heaven can wait.

No comments: