Search This Blog

Friday, January 1, 2021

New Year's Day; Black eyed peas recipe

I normally don't sit down to write out a recipe, but this evening's soup was wonderful and I want to remember how I made it. Because of course I looked at recipes online and then put together what sounded good.

Heat avocado oil in a heavy soup pot; R's is a beautiful blue enamel over cast iron.

Dice 1 med-large yellow onion and sauté on low while continuing to prep the rest of the veg.

1 green pepper and an equal amount of carrots, 1 small head of curly kale, 1 large handful of baby spinach.  Add the veggies to the pot as they are diced and continue sautéing with the pot covered to retain moisture, about 15 minutes stirring often and adding sun dried tomato oil once to prevent sticking. 

Blend 1-15oz can of fire roasted tomatoes and add to pot. Stir in seasonings; 2t thyme, 2t smoked paprika, 2t garlic granules, Mrs. Dash Onion Herb blend to liberally cover surface area of soup, half as much mushroom mix,  and 1 large bay leaf for good luck. Freshly grind in some black pepper and add a healthy amount of salt. Gently stir all together.

Add 2-11oz containers of black eyed peas found in the produce section. Add water to the pot, covering the mixture by about an inch. Bring to a boil and then simmer for an hour and a half. Check each half hour to stir and make sure there is enough liquid, adding water to desired consistency.

I used water in the soup because we were out of vegetable stock and M is on Daniel's fast with his church this week. So it needed to be vegan for.  For my portion, I added in an ounce of cream cheese to split the protein with the peas, and more freshly ground black pepper.  I am full and happy and feel wonderful to have a nutritious meal under my belt, so to say.

In retrospect I wish I hadn't forgotten the collard greens, while the kale and spinach were delicious I am concerned that we may miss out on some of the luck the meal is said to provide. Not that I ate enough peas to be lucky all year long, but any good luck is always welcome, no?

The house is quiet, the family having just left to pick up their whole foods order, and I am content.



                    

No comments: