Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2021

BLF: parts work and intermittent fasting

It has rained more in the past day than it has in months, at least that is how it feels and sounds. Twice C and I have jogged out to the garage; once for chocolate covered pretzels,  and just now for peanuts. We had been drawing in the dining room, when I noticed movement on the table just outside the window. A plump brown squirrel with red highlights was daintily eating one of my succulent plants. If there were no window I could have almost reached out and touched him. Or her. Who knows. Hence the trip for peanuts to put in the feeder, an attempt to save the potted plant. 

I worry that our peanuts have increased the squirrel population, but we do enjoy seeing them run around; it makes it easier to pretend we are in the forest.

I had a Bright Night last night. I lay in bed a couple of different times feeling my belly grumble, but both times I had the presence of mind to call an internal parts meeting. "You want to eat, I don't. Discuss" Sort of like not letting the kids drive the car, I led the meeting and laid out my defense in a clear, calm, and reasonable way. "If we want to take advantage of intermittent fasting and see if it will heal our pain, we shouldn't eat until 8am". Nothing from the prosecution. "If we don't at least try, we'll never know if this works." Again, no response. And finally, "I promise this feeling will go away if we just breathe slowly and give it a few minutes - maybe 20 at the most."

The meeting sort of dissipated rather than being adjourned, but as the parts disappeared so did the chatter and the impulse to get out of bed.  While I did watch tv before finally settling down to try and sleep, I stayed in bed without any fuss and did get some rest.

Today I may be a little less tired than I have been the past several months, even planning on a walk in the rain with C if he is up to it. So far he is not, and has put up his own defense for staying in his pajamas all day. I'm not one to argue too much on that point, especially with it being so wet and chilly outside.

I've been back and forth a dozen times trying to finish this up, between my little desk and the kitchen where I am attempting to present something he finds edible. C's most recent request is spaghetti, and I am just waiting for the noodles to cool off before placing the bowl in front of him. I can hear the scissors slicing away as he destroys our latest drawing while he waits, probably having already forgotten the food. 

I am looking forward to another Bright Night as I always do after I've had one. Please let this be the night I break my chain, and get some relief.

No comments: