Search This Blog

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Bright Line Eating; week 20 in review

Down 20.8 pounds in 20 weeks. Awesome. Could it have been more? Sure. Would it have made me crazy? Probably. Is what I am doing sustainable? Absolutely! I mean, I had buttered toast and sausage for breakfast. Not that I always have that, or would want to, but it feels rather indulgent for someone who is losing weight.

The past two weeks I have lost weight while: recognizing the 14th anniversary of my son's death, the arrival of Girl Scout Cookies, and a road trip to visit my Mom. Unbelievable comes to mind under what use to be my 'normal' circumstances. But that was then, this is now, and under the auspices of my new 'normal', entirely plausible. Awesome, in fact. And it's all Bright Line Eating.

My urges for fast food are no longer insurmountable, and it's getting easier all the time to just say no. I still struggle sometimes with midnight snacking, but it's just a small token snack, not a meal in the middle of the night snack. And I know that the more often I keep my lines bright, the easier and faster the road to recovery will be. The decision to drive home for dinner was once a huge battle every single day leaving work, now there is usually no decision to be made, I just drive home for dinner. And on the days I do think of stopping for a bite on the way home, it's usually just a thought I can brush aside. Every once in a while it's still a bit of a challenge, but those days come only rarely and I always win.

So yes, Bright Line Eating is still working for me, and I can see how easy it will be to continue eating this way for...the rest of my life.  Along the way I will be able to stop weighing my food so often, but right now there is comfort and security in knowing I am eating enough to be satisfied and still lose weight. That is important. Looking back through my journal there has always been something that in the past would have been an excuse to eat. Above were just the recent hurdles that would have normally driven me off track. Over the past 20 weeks there was also: dentist appointments, Halloween, Birthday, worksgiving, numerous times alone, Thanksgiving, more dentist, another potluck, Christmas, New Years, death in the family, superbowl, yet another potluck, and Valentines.

And I lost weight.

I remember thinking many times over the course of my life how wonderful it would be if I could just lose a pound a week for the next year. This was a compromise to the 2+ pounds a week some plans would promise. But making that pound a week wish was just that, a wish, because I never believed I could do it. Not in my heart of hearts.

Susan B Thompson has made me a believer, and I am living my wish. I know this is a rather manic post. But it's the first time in my life I have ever lost 20 pounds while attempting to lose weight, and I am ecstatic.  I remember now that in the beginning when I started BLE, I told myself that I would have a piece of pizza when I reached 20 pounds to 'celebrate'. But that doesn't seem so important this morning. Instead I find I am more interested than ever in keeping my  lines bright. In wearing a bathing suit this Summer. In being able to care for my grandchildren when I retire in two years.

But you know, that being said, my Birthday is looming, and there will be cake! Pineapple upside down cake to be more precise. But I know now that if I choose to have a piece of cake, it will be okay. If I choose to not eat a piece of cake, that will also be okay, and there won't be repercussions to either decision. Because ultimately it's just another day.

And that's how this works, one day at a time.

Thanks Susan, for making this girl's wish come true.


No comments: