Search This Blog

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Walking and cooking

Currently roasting in the oven are carrots, potatoes and onions; light on the potatoes, heavy on the onions. Seasoned with Braggs and Mrs. Dash seasonings the house smells lovely. It's late for me to be cooking, but I am out of cooked veggies and need to pack meals for tomorrow.

Arriving home today from work, I discovered M in the kitchen cooking, so C and I headed out for a walk. A few sticks and several pretty chalk drawings later we were back - him to lay down for a bit of R&R with Bubble Guppies and me to listen to Susan's Wednesday vlog. It's fun sharing my bed with him while we each go about our own business. Buddies for life. I remember forming this bond with his sister in similar ways, and as she has almost outgrown her desire to snuggle it's perfect timing to have another grandchild who wants to play tickles and snuggle.

(b)  Triscuits, cheddar, banana
(l)   Black-eyed pea & Knockwurst veggie soup, apple
(s)   one small bite of a co-workers lentil soup to share her instant pot recipe
(d)  Steak, brocolli & mixed veggies, raw carrots

Too tired to chop a salad, I opted for the oldest of the imperfect produce carrots to use them up. It's rather satisfactory to munch away on carrots, and no added fat necessary.

I also had to plan breakfast for tomorrow as we are out of my beloved triscuits. I cooked a small potatoe, then cubed it into a glass dish with 2oz of southwest cheese that is full of peppers. It will be a decadent breakfast, heated up once I am at work in the morning, but those are exactly the dishes that let me believe I am not dieting, only losing weight while I heal my brain.

But I do feel the need to cook a batch of oatmeal this weekend, and have a stretch of healthier breakfasts next week. Balance; it's what's for life.

We are all in danger this evening. C found a long thin branch to bring home and he's having so much fun with it we are indulging him.  There are still branches everywhere from the storm winds we had last weekend, and it's fun for the suburbs to feel a little wild for a change. I have never understood how I ended up in tract housing with  mowed lawns when my heart is in the mountains and my spirit thrives at the beach. Oh well.

The first hunger pangs are slowly erupting in my stomach or thereabouts, so I'm off to make an orange immunity drink and settle in for something other than Nickelodeon.

No comments: