Search This Blog

Sunday, February 16, 2020

A Double D Day

Double D is from, "What Dreams May Come", a favorite Robin Williams movie.The art and colours in the movie draw me in, and the message gives hope. It's hard to think of Robin dealing with his own depression while filming this movie; I wonder if that is why he gave such a heartfelt performance. My double D is Death and Depression today, but that is not why I sat down to write. I am hear to talk about cooking, and the one plate vs weighed meals options in Bright Line Eating.

A helped me chop veggies; carrtos, celery, fennel & red onion. Those went into R's beautiful big blue heavy pot to sautee while I diced up hot sausage. Once the veggies had lost their crispness, I mixed in a bag and a half of sliced white mushrooms and three of the sausage (about 6oz each?) along with some chicken stock and corn starch. Then 2 cups of cooked brown rice were folded in before putting the pot into the over for 40 minutes. I used Braggs seasonings and a mushroom mis that has sage in it.

While it was baking away C and i went down to the tot lot. He rode his little scooter thing and I walked quickly afterwards trying to keep up. A few times down the slide and he was ready to head home. He's already been to the park today with his Dad, but it's so nice out he wasn't quite done. About half way home he pooped out and walked while I carried the scooter. He's laying down watching Super Why while I type away waiting for it to be 4 o'clock so I can eat dinner.

So finally to the point. I could calculate based on the amounts of rice and sausage what a serving is, but I am choosing not to, instead using my experience to dish out portions that I know are reasonable. Of course if I did this all of the time it could be a slippery slope towards over-eating. But most days I weigh or measure most of my food, and using the one-plate method at times like this fits into my eating plan most admirably.

The rice isn't on the losing weight plan, but it is on maintenance, and having it once a day in the next week is fine for me. That is important, it works for me. It will help keep me sane while I continue to lose weight. I won't be a bright liner that keeps losing steadily until they reach goal weight. Rather I see myself leaning into maintenance as I approach feeling like I am at goal weight. It could be anywhere from 135 to 175. I just don't know yet, I'll have to wait to see how I feel and how I feel about how I look.. Years ago I was measured for lean body mass at 125 pounds. I can't see 135 being a reasonable weight given my natural muscle mass despite insurance charts. But again, who knows, and it's too early to think about it yet anyway with at least another 40 pounds to go.

So making a casserole type dish today with rice may have been me thumbing my nose at the universe, or just me wanting to use up lots of veggies to have with the sausage and needing rice to even out the heat they are bringing to the party. Besides, there has been a partial bag of brown rice in the fridge for more months than I can remember and it needed to be used. So a convergence of need, if you will.

(b)  Eggs with cheese & green chilies, bacon
(l)  Steak and roasted veggies, apple
(d)  Sausage, rice and veggie casserole

What time is it? It's time for dinner! A blue plate special for an old lady who is thinking about her son a lot today.





No comments: