Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Imperfect Produce

We had our first order from Imperfect Produce last week, and everything arrived looking great. We were missing a bunch of Kale, but you know, a human packed the boxes. We've been using the groceries - I don't think anything is going to waste - and there should be room for the next delivery when it arrives tomorrow. I was worried about the avocados, but the one I had in my salad last night was perfect after sitting in the dark for a couple of days.  Good prices, good quality, if the next delivery meets those standards I imagine we'll keep doing this for a while.

This is in line with how we've been gradually downsizing our daily living expenses; switching internet/tv & phone services really helped. And the kids have been eating out less. I've been doing all of my cooking, except for a couple of breakfast meetings and a couple of meals brought in over the past several months. No fast food, no picking up lunch on a whim, I'm sure it has all added up. Simplify, streamline, make do with what you have - those are my go-to standards right along with recycle, reuse.

And it feels good. Of course it has all stemmed from C being diagnosed with Leukemia, and M staying home full time to care for him while R & I are at work. So sure there was an underlying impetus for most of the change But everything else seems to have grown from there. Cleaning out the garage, really thinning out our belongings to make room for Cindy, who of course ended up here for only a week before going to hospital and then assisted care. But even though the process has slowed to a crawl this Winter, I can see us picking right up again in the Spring to continue what we have started.

A clean home, clean eating, simple clothes. I want it all, I want to slip into old age without being surrounded by clutter. I am not being morose, I figure I have a good 20 more years before I am considered to be in my old age. But I want the function & form of my life to be beautiful, and I know it will get there.

(b)  Raisin toast, cream cheese w/ cinnamon, pear
(l)  Black eyed pea veggie soup, Caracara oranges
(d)  Stew w/ potatoes & peas

C was napping when I arrived home today, so I had dinner and then sat down to write, because I know it means he will be up and demanding the attention that is the right of every two year old in just a bit. Well, at least when he isn't glued to Bubble Guppies. That's when I get to work on my Sudoku.

On a side note, I am getting better at doing the puzzles! Yay me and my big beautiful brain. If only our Senators could say that.


No comments: