Search This Blog

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Bean Soup and a Migraine

Our imperfect produce order last week included some chicken and smoked Gouda cheese sausages, and I roasted them this morning with onions and green beans. Four meals done. Right now I have dried great northern beans coming up to pressure in the instant pot with a bunch of diced yellow onions, two bay leaves and a quart of organic chicken stock. When done, I'll prep veggies while the instant pot is on 'natural release', and then the veggies will go in with the beans and come up to pressure for another 7 minutes. Easy peasy and at least four more meals ready to go for the week. I don't know the ratio, but google seems to think my cup of dried beans will be four servings.  I haven't scoured the fridge for veggies yet, but I know I have zucchini and cauliflower to use up, and a butternut squash.  There's a trifecta of nutrition for you; onions, beans and squash.

I couldn't sleep last night and finished up the ice cream from the freezer. My bad, but not totally unexpected after my waxing so positive yesterday; typical backlash behavior for me. Anyway, I lay in bed feeling physically ill, and this morning at 8am I was greeted by an occular migraine. Generally speaking this will put me in bed this afternoon so I tried to get my cooking done early today.

I am back on track this morning, and anxious to feel the calm and well being of being back on plan with Bright Lines intact.  (Birthday tomorrow,...just sayin'.)

(b)  cooked grains, grapes
(l)   left over pork chop, green beans & onions cooked with bacon
(d)  bean soup, cabbage salad

I'm thinking that it's a good thing I sleep alone, but 'wind' hasn't really been an issue since cutting out flour and sugar. Interesting, hadn't thought about it before.

C is sitting with me watching PJ Masks and munching on raw sweet potatoe and drinking ice water. lol, we should all be so healthy! He was so good yesterday and last night while his parent were gone. His sister was also beyond reproach; so loving and playful with him - best big sister ever indeed.

Everyone but C is a little tired today, and as soon as he settles down for a nap I think the rest of us will too. I will have enough meals ready so no grocery store this weekend.  But I do have a bit of a mess to clean up in the kitchen after  my earlier foray into  cooking. I fantasize about having live in help to cook, clean, and do laundry, but it doesn't really look like that's going to happen. Not in this lifetime anyway.

We've had a hint of Spring lately, and this cold cold day is a reminder that winter still has us in it's grip. I am looking forward to cuddling up with a cozy blanket for a nap and feasting on rich bean soup for dinner. But first C has decided we are playing a game of finding Dory. 

And as soon as I think what a perfect day, I miss Joey, and feel guilty. But I won't dwell on that. I have a grandson waiting on me. I am blessed.






No comments: