Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Stuffed and thinking about it

Being forgetful can be a problem sometimes, or at the very least challenging. Today a bank who is wooing us for business brought by lunch for the on-site team at work; currently there are four of us in the office regularly. He was very thoughtful and had us order in to the local deli so he could pick it up and deliver it to us. Awesome, right? But the soup today was Chicken Noodle, so no, and I opted for a salad with Bleu Cheese. It was delicious. Too much fat for sure in the big crumbles of cheese, but lots of fresh red peppers, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, carrots and mushrooms.

I had it all planned out, that was my dinner salad, and I would double up on my cooked veggies at dinner. BUT...a lot can happen between good intentions and results. Forgetting I had eaten a salad at lunch until I was half way through my dinner salad isn't really a big deal; a vegetable is a vegetable after all. And lord knows I've been slighting myself on salads in recent weeks.

But that's not what I was getting to at all, that whole rant is just a side bar because the reason I am so stuffed is because of the tofu. This is the first time I have cooked tofu for dinner since starting BLE, and while I was surprised by how much 6oz is, I figured it would be 'light'. No. Not light at all. This was extra firm tofu that is stretching out my tummy to an almost uncomfortable degree. I also had a starch in my roasted veggies (sweet potatoe) so another filling portion that is contributing I am sure.

At least now I know what to eat if I want to be sure I am full. Of course, that is the nature of my food addiction - to eat until I am so full I can pass out, or feel sedated, or disappear - whatever. So maybe I need to be wary of this, and cut back to 4oz next time as with other proteins. It will be interesting biologically to see how fast this feeling dissipates.

(b)  breakfast sausage, triscuits, banana
(l)  Garden Salad, bleu cheese
(d)  Tofu, salad, roasted veg (sweet potatoe, onions, carrots)

While I was picking up the aforementioned tofu at the store I found myself falling back into an old bad habit of critiquing the contents of other's grocery carts. I mean really, who am I to judge. But it is interesting to see the mix of food that people buy, and what it says about them. I will say that it seems like I see more whole foods that when I started playing this little game back in 2010 or so when I was eating for nutrition.

I also picked up blackberries, green grapes and bananas.  I think my banana a day habit has really helped with reducing my charlie horses - I can't remember the last time a calf seized up on me. Amazing what a little nutrition can do! But I didn't see any meat I wanted to buy, and I will be out of protein again tomorrow. Maybe it's time to review my options and check out some online recipes for Bright Lines meal ideas. Or maybe just cave and make my favorite meatballs.

That's an idea, I'll google vegetarian meatballs and see what I get! I guess it's the combination of the warming weather and once again becoming conscious of how awful animal farming is that is driving me more and more often of late. This past week I cut back to one vegetarian meal a day, and I have a feeling that will be the trend for the summer. Hopefully I will be back to vegetarian by Summer.

I can see it now, a summer of swimming, salads, and maybe even a bit of a tan. Whoo hoo.

No comments: