Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Food and Fun

Serendipity can be a good friend, and often plays a roll in developing a new favorite dish when cooking. Yesterday I was using chicken sausages for my protein, and was craving chowmein veggies. I sauteed onion, bok choy, and celery together in a little sesame oil for my veggies, and at the last tossed in the mushrooms I had sauteed the day before. weighing this mixture out into four servings I proceeded to add the chicken sausages. But they were each about half an ounce light, and since I know better than to skimp on measurements I added half an ounce of sliced lite pepperoni to each of my four glass containers to bring the protein up to weight.

Today at lunch I discovered I had something wonderful. I forgotten how much I love cooked celery (al dente please) and combined with the everything else it was simply delicious. So good in fact that I had it again for dinner tonight after my salad.

While it was nice to get out of the house and work in the office today, it was very quiet and I missed the hubbub of the house. I am tired this evening, and ready to call it a day two hours earlier than polite company would call for I think. I do need to wait for my pan of veggies to finish roasting anyway. In about half an hour I will have a tray of roasted carrots, onions, and potatoes to divvy up into containers. We are trying to make sure we use up all of the fresh produce first; knowing we have another delivery next Thursday almost compels one towards due diligence and not wasting anything. And saving the frozen veggies in case fresh becomes hard to find, there's that too.

After work today I was able to find a tub of toys and puzzles in the newly organized garage to bring in to the house. The kids have done two puzzles in the past week and a half, and now there is a new 1000 piece Snoopy puzzle we hadn't even opened because it looked too challenging at the time. Now it is a godsend for those going a little stir crazy.

Finally, something I am good at; staying home!

We watched Onward yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised. Finding family friendly options while browsing for movies to watch has been a challenge; you know that sweet spot where children and adults are both entertained.

Time to sign off and make tea, rest my back, and cuddle some grandchildren. Which all sounds rather contradictory, but each in it's own time makes it work.

No comments: