Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Chili Verde

I used the instant pot to make Chile Verde for dinner today. It was the kind of cool day that makes one think of comfort food and it was nice to fill the house up with wonderful smells.

Being mindful of my determination to regain my Bright Lines today, I was careful about how I proceeded. Once the instant pot finished a natural release, I opened it and using a slotted spoon pulled out each chunk of pork roast and shredded it into glass containers. Then I left the pot on Saute to reduce the juices and veggies. This way I can measure out the components and know I have a balanced meal.

I weighed out my salad, sprinkled on an ounce of cheese, and added 3oz of the meat. Using the slotted spoon again I added 6oz of veggies from the pot (onions, peppers, tomatoes, and chilies to the top of the meat in my salad bowl.  Stirring a spoonful of sour cream into the veggies made a delicious dressing after adding a few splashes of hot sauce.  Next time I will skip the cheese as it was overwhelmed by everything else.

M used the meat to make Nachos and it sounds like R is making a burrito. But there will be left overs for next week. I'll use the sauce to make a sort of chili verde pozole I think. But I will be careful to weigh and measure to make sure there are the right proportions of protein (pork) and vegetables (hominy) in each serving.

It's been challenging today to stick to my bright lines, having eaten too many calories yesterday and having had both sugar and flour. But I am keeping my thoughts positive, remembering how quickly I adapted before, and wanting to enjoy continued results. That sounded oddly formal, but you get the drift. Back on plan, back to feeling better, back to feeling lighter. Those are good feelings, and we all need those in our lives.

M and A went and picked up R and C from Hospital early this afternoon. Thank heavens they're home. Upon arrival, everything went in the wash, including them, and things have finally settled down.  I nope all of the precautions taken both at the hospital and at home keep us safe; it's nerve wracking to say the least. His numbers are still low and they will wait to continue Chemo until they rebound some more. I think he was up to 250 today, so half way there.

Time to check the news to see if Trump is still waffling.




No comments: