Search This Blog

Saturday, November 28, 2020

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I came in to write about the wonderful turkey soup I just had for dinner. R made stock yesterday, and today we made soup. Using the last of the compound butter that was full of sage, rosemary & thyme, we sautéed the last of the box of prepped celery & onions, also infused with herbs. (You know the boxes they sell at the grocery store this time of year - best 'fast food' item ever.) We let them caramelize slowly over a low heat for about half an hour, then added the bowl of stock and scraped up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Next in went peas & corn from the freezer, freshly chopped carrots and cauliflower, some mushroom mix, and freshly ground pepper. It simmered for about half an hour after coming to the boil, and while that was going on I prepped the turkey meat, saving bones for another round of stock, chopping a blend of light and dark meat, and packing up a container of sliced breast for sandwiches.

Once the soup was done it was easy to weigh out my four ounces of turkey into a bowl, then use a slotted spoon to weigh out my six ounces of veggies. A few ladles of broth and I was ready to eat. Oh, and salt, it needed salt. Half way though my bowl I added in another six ounces of veggies instead of having a salad. That was my bad, it should have been eight ounces, but I'm way full and it was plenty of food. The best part is that there will be enough left over for lunch tomorrow. 

Tonight R is cooking a batch of rice for the family to add to their soup. Well, maybe not for C, he had a bit of an upset tummy after pounding down a bunch of pizza, a glass of milk, some scrambled egg, most of a tangerine, some apple juice...it was not pretty. Steroids week is always a little challenging. Let's just say there is laundry to do before R can make up their bed again, as that is where he was resting when he lost his lunch.

We also put up the tree today, and a beautiful one it is. We decided to go tall and skinny for a change, and it's so fun to fit more of our ornaments on it, and it feels wonderfully Christmassy in the living room now.

And now for the Ugly. R had sent me pics of her baby shower from March of 2017, thinking I might want to use one for my before picture. ARGHHHHHHHH!!! OMG, I had no idea. I mean, I knew I was fat, am still fat, but to see the pictures is rather disturbing. I'm 30 pounds or so lighter now, and I know I am not that person anymore, but holy cow.  I'll have to take a current picture so I can participate in a Face to Face Friday on the BLE official website. It's always inspirational to see before and after pictures, and I would like to participate so others can share in my success so far. I may get brave and even post it here. Maybe.

And I must say, that staying Bright right now, and knowing I am making progress, makes seeing those pictures a lot easier. I think I would drop into, 'the depths of despair' as Anne Shirley would say if I was still that heavy when seeing the pictures.

One more item on my mind. My Mastermind Group this morning. I helped facilitate an IFS session for a team member, and I am hoping I didn't flub it too badly. There is definitely a learning curve, but we seemed to make some progress in the form of her meeting one of her protectors. We learn so much from each other, having been brought to this place of food addiction by many of the same roads travelled. 

I'm still is a place of calm today, and happy with my food and activity. I'm trying to decide if I want to watch any of the Tyson fight - I don't think so. I have lots to keep me busy in my room this evening, and I really don't think I need to be subjected to the violence. Instead I'll take care of the task at hand, sorting through all of the paperwork and odds and ends that I cleaned out of my desk that was in the garage.

I'm counting this as another good day.


No comments: