Search This Blog

Thursday, November 26, 2020

A Bright Line Turkey Day!

Last night I prepped the yam pudding, so this morning I just had to jet out to the garage to get the ceramic bowls of pudding to put in the oven. An hour later we had our 'pumpkin pie' for breakfast. 

The 24lb turkey has been washed and is air drying on a rack waiting to be stuffed with herbs and have a compound butter smooshed under it's skin. We haven't cooked a bird this large in more years than I can remember, but 'all donations are welcome!'

I cooked up cranberries this morning with a small yellow apple, 2 figs, & half a 'cutie' tangerine. Once blended it was still too tart, so I added some raw sugar. OMG, SUGAR! But only a little, and definitely fifth on the list of ingredients. Now cooling in the fridge it will jelly by dinner. This will be our fruit saved from breakfast so we can have it with the turkey at dinner.

So a productive morning on the way to a Bright Thanksgiving 💛

We had appetizers for lunch, sort of. Deviled egg, port wine cheese, an assortment of veggies and an apple. Then it was on to a Dinner of a Thousand Steps. I think I mentioned that the fridge broke and that we carted all of the food to a new fridge in the garage. So today it was back and forth, back and forth, between the kitchen and garage while we prepped for dinner.

Dinner was wonderful. We made corn bread dressing for the family, as well as a small yam casserole, and for us we made the veggie stuffing mix posted on the Bright Line resources board. There was a pot of mashed potatoes, and rich yummy homemade gravy using tapioca starch, and the bird was tasty. R and I weighed out our veggies and meat, then added cranberry sauce and gravy to taste. Everything was wonderful.

Then it was another dozen trips putting everything away in the garage. I packed up six Bright Line meals, and there is a lot of turkey left over for meal planning. Soup for sure is on my list, I'm really looking forward to that.

M had picked up pumpkin pie for their dessert, but having had our yam pudding for breakfast I am not a bit sad to skip that. I can feel my stomach is full, and really I don't feel like eating anything more today. In the past, we've all had sandwiches before bedtime having had dinner at around 4pm, but we ate at about six tonight, and there will be no leftovers until tomorrow.

Really it has been just another day of being thankful for all I have, except with gravy.


No comments: