Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2021

BLE: No dairy and no chewing

It was a ten-plate day trying to find something for Cal to eat. We started the morning by baking some 'pirate pie', otherwise known as corn bread, and I ended my shift with a PB&J going stale on his plate.  His Mom medicated him in the afternoon and he did wake up from a nap with some appetite. Part of a quesadilla and a donut later and he was his usual evening banshee self; your typical four year old making sure everyone knows he is the center of our universe.

Today's Food
b)  homemade refried black beans, rice, salsa & an orange
l)   roasted veggies, beans, chicken sausage, an apple
d)  Carrot, tomato, onion, hominy, spinach stoup with more refried black beans

I managed to go the whole day without eating a single raw vegetable! That hasn't happened in a while. Probably a sub conscious rebellion to this weeks vlog from SPT about how important chewing is to our brain health, skull, and satiety. It was really just a fluke, needing to use up the oldest veggies before the imperfect order was delivered I opted for stone soup for dinner.  Using my refried beans for the protein thickened it up enough to classify it as a stoup. It was very good, as any dinner is when  you start by sautéing onions with Montreal Steak Seasoning. I expect my hands will be swollen from the sodium when I wake tonight.

The day was mostly good, and I even made it out to sit in the sun for a half an hour. God I miss that, just laying in the sun and luxuriating in the warmth while relishing the wind as it brushes by in counterpoint. Once upon a time I could do that for hours at a time and be brown as a nut by the time Summer arrived. Now I am grateful for a half an hour to soak up some vitamin D. I guess I should also be grateful that I don't have more age spots than I do considering the volume of time I spent abusing my skin.

I also made it through the day without any dairy, and it feels like progress. Lunch had the last of the sausage in it, so the plan is for no animal protein at all for the next three weeks. I prepped a couple of chia puddings for breakfast, having eating the last of the rice and bean dishes, and I'm looking forward to something new. I split the protein between chia seeds,  peanut butter, and almond milk then added in steel cut oats for the grain portion. Oh, and I smashed up 2.6oz of ripe banana into each one so they should be a little sweet. I haven't decided if I want to add in blueberries or peaches to round out the fruit serving, but I'm sure either will be wonderful. I don't know why I haven't done this before, but I'm hoping it's good enough to be a new regular.

My inner voices weren't too bad today, ignoring the plethora of food choices I laid out for Cal with barely a whimper. And I think we tossed most of the left overs so there won't be anything tempting me from the kitchen tonight. Maybe the corn bread, I'm a little nervous about that and may take it out to the garage before bed. And that's exactly the kind of crazy that makes me... well, crazy.  Normal people wouldn't give it a thought.

Exhaustion creeps up my spine, and I guess I am headed out to the garage.

Go me.

No comments: