Search This Blog

Monday, October 28, 2019

Salt

Somewhere in the Bright Line Eating materials, Susan mentioned that not eating processed foods we would be able use salt since we would be getting so much less sodium.  I heard, 'okay to use salt' when what I should have heard was 'eventually I may be able to use salt again.'  I realized at lunch today that I was adding salt to my soup, and that I had added salt to my dinner the night before, and come to think of it had been adding salt to my food daily. This is not good. I am still taking blood pressure meds, I'm still a good 80 #'s or so overweight. It's amazing how the brain can filter out pertinent facts. And I didn't really need the salt, my soups were nicely seasoned. But generally speaking I crave salt more than sugar, chips over cookies when you get right down to it. So note to self; knock it off!

Breakfast this morning was lovely; wild brown rice cakes with peanut butter and a banana. Lunch was the last container of lentil soup that I meant to have last week but ended up skipping lunch that day (by accident) and wanted to use it up before it went bad. And a green salad with a sliced brussels sprout, green onions and cucumber. The dressing was a yogurt cilantro, yum.  Dinner was sketchy.  I  had to stop at the store to pick up ingredients for tomorrow's pot luck at work (green chili rice) and was of course starving by the time I headed home on the freeway. With the groceries on the seat next to me, including a bag of shredded jack cheese for the rice casserole, I justified eating cheese as my dinner protein, intending to eat dinner the minute I stepped through the door at home. But C attached himself to me as he sometimes does as soon as I get home, and the next hour I spent with him. By the time he was ready to let me go I wasn't really hungry.  The kids had picked up posole (hominy soup) as part of their dinner and I had a small bowl because it was ready and easy and warm. And I was tired.  I also ate the small bowl of persimmon that R had cut up for C; he seemed to like it and ate a few cubes, but then set it aside. So dinner was protein, fruit, and grain. Plus whatever veggies were in the broth of the soup I guess. No sugar, no flour; focus on the positive.

So why am I struggling to stick to the plan? It's not that I don't think I'm worth the effort. Maybe years of playing the 'I don't care' card just to get through each day has become a habit, or a fall back response, when I am tired.

I am too hungry driving home, so maybe I need to push breakfast out to 9, so that lunch isn't until 1pm. That should help, I'll try that tomorrow.  EXCEPT that I just remembered that I have Jury Duty tomorrow. That's what this note should have been about, how brilliantly I was going to handle that challenge.

I guess I had better go figure that out or tomorrow's post will just be pathetic.




No comments: