Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2019

A bad tooth

Yesterday I was in a lot of pain and a visit to the dentist revealed I need a root canal and a new bridge. I am not happy; my insurance does not cover this and I hate to spend the money as things are tight right now.

But it has to be done. And of course I am not here to talk about pain or money, but about eating. Yesterday threw me a curve in the form of lunch out with my team, but I chose huevos rancheros, no tortilla, with potatoes instead. It was two poached eggs for protein in a rich salsa sauce and fresh avocado. I should have eaten less and that's my bad, but I kept my potatoes to a 4oz serving (I think) and I didn't break any of my personal bright lines. For dinner I had lentil soup and a banana, and breakfast had been sausage, triscuits and grapes. So not a great day for fresh veggies. And because I was in pain and went to bed early I didn't plan food for today - I hope things aren't falling apart already, that it's just me doing the best I can under trying circumstances.

This morning I didn't eat until 10 my mouth was so swollen, but there were softened grains in the fridge and I had a banana which was soft to chew.  Lunch will be garbanzo bean boats - tons of celery and onion diced up with chopped garbanzo beans and some mayo tucked into small artisan romaine leaves- and dinner will be more lentil soup. So lunch and dinner are full of veggies and I can feel good about that. I know I can get through this whole dental thing without crossing lines, but I am concerned about portions and fresh veg.  Of course there is that saying, "Produce is Produce!" I see more soup in my immediate future.

Time to eat lunch and do some planning for the next few days so I stay on track.  I will say that after a week and a half I think I am having less cravings. I'm not prowling the kitchen at night, and have stayed away from the junk to be found there. So far so good. And I need to  plan something to take to a Halloween potluck at work. That should be interesting.


No comments: