Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Commitment

Dinner was delicious. I know, I skipped the day to get to that, but really, right now is still about the food. And more to the evening's point, committing to the food. Having the flexibility of planning the night before what I will eat the next day, committing to it, and then following through - it's a great sense of accomplishment. I remember feeling trapped before while following a plan because it was all set out for me in advance. And it would never last long. I did well eating a blend of Fuhrman\McDougall - adding starch to Furhman's meals and greens to McDougal's- but once I went back to work full time I didn't have the time? energy? strength? to follow through on the prep. This feels different, maybe because I have the added incentive of leaning into brain health, the motivation of long term healing.

But I do like the idea of following through on something, even if it's just a small daily habit of eating the food I committed to the night before.

So the Day.

Breakfast was too heavy, and by 10:30 I was hungry and tired. I had some lemon herbal tea and water, then took a break and listened to a vlog by Susan. That helped, but I still ate lunch exactly four hours after breakfast. Another large salad with garbanzo beans etc. Which of course left me hungry on the way home from work five hours later. As planned I stopped for supplies on the way home, choosing Italian sausage because there were no frozen meatballs at Sprouts where I stopped, and stocking up on a Marinara sauce that was on sale and was sugar free. Arriving home was nice, with A and C at my car door to greet me; then I hit the door running, chopping onions, squash & peppers and throwing them in the Instapot with the Marinara and sausages. I set the timer long - 35 minutes- because I wanted it cooked down to sauce. So Delicious. And eating at 6. And so easy to weigh out my serving of protein then fill my bowl with what by then was spaghetti soup. I had two servings of veggies instead of a salad. Another nice BLE saying, "Produce is Produce!"

A hectic day at work, and a full tummy, leaves me ready for a nice lay down. But I know I will be up after Star Trek is over (Voyager) and my brain starts working on the menu for tomorrow. And I'll figure it out and write it down in my journal. And commit to it in thought and deed as I pack up and prepare for tomorrow's meals. Because I want this to work, and while it's been challenging at times, it still feels very doable. Very realistic.Very Right.

On to an evening of grandchildren, Captain Janeway, and taking care of myself.

Feeling a little smug.



No comments: