Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Holiday Food

And so it begins, with Halloween cookies in the kitchen at work. l was envious of the girls eating them, but I kept my head down and concentrated on work. I chewed gum on the way home and made dinner immediately upon arriving; a green salad and left over ribs. Looking around my own kitchen there was an open bag of Cheetos, chocolate chip cookies, the can of cashews, potatoe chips...and Halloween candy.

But C had chemo today and the kids have been trying to get him to eat - the efforts apparent. Sometimes there are bowls everywhere with rejected offerings from the day. His blood was low when they tested at hospital so he is scheduled to go back for a transfusion. Trying to get him to eat has not been very successful this evening; at one point he was watching Paw Patrol on my bed (laptop) while I watched Star Trek (tv) and the plate of food left next to him was tantalizing to me but not to him - waffles with syrup, sausage, and apples.

But back to Holiday Food.  I am already thinking about pumpkin custard sweetened with dates, and wondering if I will have a piece of pie at Thanksgiving. At this point I think it depends on how yummy the custard is.  And today I had the brilliant thought of using my cooked grains to make a bread pudding with raisins. As sometimes happens it would appear that my sweet tooth is peaking around. I feel safe for now, the memory of how disappointing the small Halloween candies were last year - literally tasting like plastic to me they are so processed.

I think I will be fine until Thanksgiving. And even then it can be more about the mashed potatoes and gravy thickened with something other than flour, juicy turkey and buttery green beans than it is about the dressing, rolls and pies. There are lots of ways to splurge while not breaking any of my Bright Lines.

Now Christmas. And chocolate. And cookies. That may be another story. But I am hoping I will have lost enough pounds by then for incentive to stay true. If I even lose a few more pounds in October, and ten in November, and another 8 or so in December - why that will be 26 lbs! Certainly that is plenty of food for thought! But I think it is possible by keeping sugar, flour and snacking corralled inside my beautiful bright lines.

Luckily New Years is about potatoe chips and onion dip, oh, and I forgot, fried prawns. Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one.

In any case, despite the day's temptations I am not daunted by the looming Holidays. After all, it's not really about the food then, is it? Despite my obsessing.

No comments: