Search This Blog

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Bright Lines: week 2 in review

Two more pounds down this morning after another week of no flour, no sugar, and no snacking. There were some challenges this week, but I feel I met them fairly well. I have watched enough vlogs and videos of others doing BLE to know I'm pretty average. There are those who are following the weight loss plan religiously, and those who go off on their own tangent, but I think I fall into the middle group who see hope in the science and are weaning themselves off of bad habits. Like my too often morning sausage and daily morning cup of decaf with cream. And I used tapioca starch to thicken my bean soup - it was in the cupboard and the soup was too thin. From the beginning this was meant to be about the long haul, and not a flash in the pan quick weight loss scheme. So yes, I know I am eating a little too much fat, and sometimes having a starch and a grain in the same day, and not counting the Parmesan cheese I may sprinkle on my salad.

So it's really been about no dramatic changes to my eating, just a fine tuning, and I guess the biggest challenge has been no bread. I've been a bread junkie my whole life, which is why it makes total sense to me that it's an addiction. And one I am willing to do without thank you very much. Especially knowing there are some things I can have, like Ezekiel break and Triscuits. Just enough to satisfy that urge I think when the time comes. Knowing there is a turkey sandwich in my future also makes a big difference, because seeing this as long time doable is vital - this can't be a 'diet' or 'weightloss program'. This has to be a way of life, and I'm still in the early stages of seeing if this is real. I hope and pray, and I'm very optimistic that my first impression will hold true.

Despite my good intentions yesterday morning I never did plan dinner for last night. But when R asked what sounded good for dinner all of a sudden I wanted a hamburger patty smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms. Once we had pulled it all together I changed  my mind and opted for a hamburger salad. Crisp Romaine, green onions, pickles, lots of chopped tomatoes and 4oz of a cheese covered patty. A dressing of yellow mustard and mayo completed the salad, and it was delicious. It was the first green salad I'd had in days because of my swollen mouth, and it took a while to slowly chew it all up but worth the effort.

Today got ahead of me a bit. We were out of half n half so I got a decaf americano at Starbucks and sipped away while I did an early grocery run. I don't normally splurge like that, but there you go; events conspire and all that.

So breakfast was much later than usual, almost brunch, and consisted of country potatoes with two eggs over easy and green grapes. There had been fresh prepped veggie packs on sale 3\$10 at the store so I had grabbed two that were diced potatoes, onions & peppers and the 3rd was broccolini. I shared the first batch of potatoes and there are still two 4oz servings left over for two breakfasts next week. I also have two containers of cooked oats ready to go, another 2 breakfasts.

Lunch was bean n bacon soup from the instant pot; two bowls left over for dinners next week. I need to pick up some salad mix for work lunches and do a pan of roasted veggies to have on hand, but that can be done later. Also for later this week I have everything I need for another bean soup, vegetarian this time with lots of tomatoes and mustard greens. I want to use the 15 bean soup mix that's in the cupboard and use Fuhrman's method of throwing in the greens whole on top while the soup is cooking and then pulling them out, blending them up and adding them back into the soup. I'll use the Mushroom Mix for this soup too.

I know I should get up and do something, but I really want my mouth to heal and am using that as an excuse to laze about today.

Besides, I will need my energy later to play legos with C.


No comments: