Search This Blog

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Grains

Grains are one of the food groups that I do weigh and measure. And this morning I cooked up a double batch of the Organic mix that I usually stir in dry to yogurt for a quick easy breakfast to take to work.  I followed the directions for 2 servings, and added in 4oz of sliced dates to sweeten the deal. I figured each serving would weigh 6 instead of 4oz and then I would be able to add another 4oz of fresh fruit per serving. I was surprised when the grains (rolled wheat, barley, rye and oats) measured out to 3 servings of 6 oz each. I will still only add 4 oz of fruit; I won't make myself crazy with math. Adding blueberries to my breakfast and 2oz of sausage links it felt like a banquet. And I have two servings in the fridge ready to go for a couple of work week breakfasts.

I am aware that sometime I eat two servings of grain in a single day, making a rice dish for dinner or having leftovers of same for a lunch on the same day I've eaten grains for breakfast. This is one of the ways I will be able to refine my eating plan if I stop losing weight. Another is choosing leaner proteins, and eventually focus on eating for nutrition - which in my humble opinion does not include animal protein. But for now I am still in transition mode, this being the end of my second week of following my abbreviated version of Bright Line Eating.

My mouth is still swollen, and I still dread the root canal that is coming, but it's not worse this morning and my attitude is much improved.

I picked up some Amy's organic tomatoe soup while filling a new prescription yesterday, and after a couple of slurps I couldn't eat it. I knew sugar was maybe the 5th ingredient, but I didn't expect the soup to taste sweet. It was awful! I dumped it out and slowly chewed on an ounce of white Vermont cheddar cheese. I should have cooked up some veg but I was still feeling pretty terrible and just didn't have the gumption. I am still disappointed that organic vegetable soup wasn't a better option than an ounce of animal protein for me, but I'll get over it and make my own tomotoe soup soon.

Time for Saturday chores, including planning groceries for what I will cook on Sunday for the coming week. Maybe bean soup, I have a 15 bean mix in the cupboard I would like to use, and I can make it chock full of tomatoes to get over my recent disappointment.. Nice, a plan!

No comments: