Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Hamburger Soup

This morning was rough, but the root canal is done. I wasn't feeling stellar this afternoon, but made soup anyway. When the kids were little my husband would make hamburger soup; it seemed strange to me at the time, but it was inexpensive and I didn't have to cook - a win, win. Plus everyone loved it.

I didn't have the stamina to cook frozen hamburger at teh stove, so I threw it in the instant pot with a cup of chicken stock for 15 minutes. While it defrosted I sauteed onions and chopped up carrots and onions. Trader Joe's 21 seasonings, some Mrs. Dash table blend, and a couple of bay leaves also made it in with the onions. Once they were softened I add tomatoe paste, dried parsley, a little garlic powder and stirred it all together until blended and put the heat on low.

I did a quick release on the instant pot once the timer went off, used the new fancy plastic tool to break up the hamburger, then added the onion blend and fresh veggies, plus a bag of cubed zucchini from the fridge and a large can of crushed tomatoes, and set the instant pot for 18 minutes. I wish I hadn't forgotten the baby spinach but oh well. I started noodles on the stove so the family could add them to their soup, and when R arrived home she took over. She reduced the timer by 5 minutes, scooped out a big bowl for me, then added the noodles in.

Why am I writing all that down? Because it was fairly easy, and very delicious, and I want to remember how I made it. It needed just a touch of salt at the end, and I ate the whole big bowl set aside for me. My body was screaming for the veggies and now I am comfortably full and ready to relax for the evening. Oh, and even C ate some soup! So satisfying to have made something he would eat.

So satisfying to feel helpful.




No comments: