Search This Blog

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Salt, Bean Stoup, and a Nap!

 Dinner tonight was so delicious. I chopped up a small yellow onion, a couple handfuls of those snack sized baby carrots, and two gray zucchini and set them to simmering in enough chicken broth to cover them all and several shakes of the Mrs. Dash Onion blend. While that was cooking I drained and rinsed a can of white beans, and weighed out 6oz to add later.

Once the veggies were just tender, I set the beans to warm in the microwave, then used a slotted spoon to weigh out 10oz of the veg and then 2oz of broth. (The serving of vegetables was already so large I couldn't imagine going all the way to 12oz.) After adding in the beans, I had a large beautiful bowl of bean stoup. To this I ground in lots of black pepper, and added a small spoon of finishing salt. This may or may not have been important, but after just a cup or so of the meal I started feeling better.

I had been having really strange headaches all day; waves of pain shooting across my head, mostly in the back and through the middle of my head. And I was tired, even more so than usual, and just plain feeling out of it. At lunch I was making my salad, and having just diced up the hard boiled eggs I thought of salt, and a light went on. I haven't been eating meat (which I would either normally salt, or prepare with salt, or buy already salted such as sausage) and I had been using different Mrs. Dash variations on my cooked vegetables. Maybe my sodium was low??

I did salt my lunch and felt a little better afterwards, but just couldn't do anything productive most of the afternoon. Well, aside from rinsing dishes and rotating laundry and trimming back more of the tomatoes plants and watching C play outside. Oh, and changing out the covers on the couch (we have to keep it clean for C to use as he wants to play, eat, and nap.) And making my meals. Okay, so not as much of a slouch as I thought, but I didn't pick up toys at the end of the day or take out the garbage. When M got home I apologized for the house being at sixes and sevens and he gave me that 'crazy mother in law' look and asked what it meant. I was embarrassed to admit I didn't remember exactly, that I had just been saying it my whole life when the house was a mess. So silly.

Anyway, after my salty dinner I did feel better, but called in sick to work and laid down for a much needed nap. I am still feeling somewhat better, no headache, and sipping a big cup of Throat Coat tea just because it's delicious and comforting.

I do have an appt. for blood work on Tuesday because of how fatigued I am, with a follow up phone appt. with the Dr., and I'm wondering if my medications need adjusting. I requested the blood work before any of this happened, and I am hoping to be fully recovered tomorrow, but it will be nice to make sure everything is as it should be once the bloodwork is back.

Back to my original thought, dinner was delicious and I need to do this more often. I've been so enamored of the instant pot I've been batch cooking and it's so easy to make too much. The fridge and freezer are usually pretty packed! When I was eating for nutrition ala Fuhrman many years ago now,  I would make a small pan of stoup most evenings. Just big bowls of veggies with either beans, rice, or pasta added. I will be able to do this again, just without the pasta. That being said (I wonder if there is a way to count how many times I have said that in this blog), I will be able to experiment with adding things like bean and lentil pastas to my soups and stoups once I am in BLE maintenance.

Tomorrows Food:

B:  Yam Pudding, banana\green grapes

L:  8oz chopped salad w/ blue cheese, apple

D:  Stone soup and beans, 6oz green salad

Stone soup being code for, 'use up the oldest veggies in the fridge because the imperfect produce order was delivered today.'

So grateful to be feeling enough like myself to sit and type for a few minutes, but still ready to lay back down. Maybe listen to some Thursday Night Football.

No comments: