Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2021

BLE: Of Body and Spirit

Let me just say upfront that I am not a Christian; I believe there are more ways than one to reach 'heaven.' That being said, I do believe in Jesus the man, and that he was enlightened, and that while the bible has many flaws being written by mostly men hundreds of year later, it too was probably written by mostly enlightened people with mostly good intentions.

I'm not sure why I am thinking about this just now, but it occurred to me this morning that many valuable lessons have been there for thousands of years, but as a general rule we are just too stubborn to embrace them.

To thine own self be true.

    Turns out this one is actually from Hamlet  by Shakespeare, but he was so often paraphrasing from the Bible that it counts. But no, wait, a few minutes with Google and we get to Greek Philosophy.  So maybe not from the bible, but still millennium old wisdom so it stays. The search also brought up the below interpretation, which is spot on when applied to my Bright Line Eating journey. 

 "The first meaning is that someone can better judge himself if he has done what he should or could have done. The second meaning is that one must be honest in his ways and relations. The third meaning is that one must always do the right thing."

(OMG, my writers brain wants to expand this quote into a paper; maybe later.)

Your body is a temple.

     “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?"  I am choosing to disregard the next sentence which is IMHO just political in nature. Meaning that it is someone else's interpretation put forth with an agenda to control through power. Of course that is (again IMHO) the whole bible, a conglomeration of stories skewed and interpreted to control the population. Which is sad, because the core lesson is so valuable if you believe as I and many others do that we are spiritual beings having a human experience. 

And of course Ezekiel bread:

     "Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself."

I realized why I am thinking about these lessons this morning. Because Saturday mornings I meet with my master mind group and they inspire me to be a better person, and I actually spend time prepping for that meeting and focusing on my journey and how I could be doing better. I will take it as a message from within that I am spending too much time on the wrong things. That my journey has been too much about my physical self, and not enough about my spirit.  Well, duh!

It's so much easier to make this about wanting to lose weight, about freeing the inner-athlete that so badly wants to go play with bows and arrows again.  I guess I have a core belief that if my body is ready the spirit will follow. that if I am comfortable in my body I will have the strength and motivation to pursue a more spiritual life. Just maybe, it really is the other way around.

No comments: