Search This Blog

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Soup soup soup


While eating mostly plants for health reasons, I cannot let the remains of the feast go to waste. So I am making split pea soup using stock made from the ham bone, and tomorrow I will make turkey stock to freeze and have on hand for lentil soup. The way my house works is that the most delicious smells from the kitchen waft their way back to the bedrooms, and it's always a surprise to walk back there and ... mmmmm, nose up and breathe deep.

We went out to visit our SIL who was working his 2nd job BBQing tri tip at a bar that was featuring a blues band. I hadn't sat in a bar drinking beer in years and it felt good, the music moving through me, working with the beer to thaw my heart for a while. Arriving home to an evening turned chilly and entering the house to the smell of pea soup was divine. I really need to use the crock pot more often this winter. Having a few small containers of soup in the freezer is always conducive to helping make a healthy choice on some future unplanned for difficult evening. We'll eat this plain for a couple of nights, then when my SO leaves on business I'll add in some greens that I've pre-cooked and frozen in 1-1/2C packets both to pump up the nutrient density and change up the flavour.

No comments: