Search This Blog

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Savory twice baked Sweet Potatoes

I have been totally engrossed by Fall cleaning, getting the house ready for company, and planning the Thanksgiving meal. While eating mostly plants has given me a new perspective on the menu, I am still looking forward to turkey gravy and mashed potatoes. The dish to challenge me has been the sweet potatoes. I don't want a sweet dish, I am making a vegan pumpkin pie for dessert and it seems silly to have two sweet squash dishes. So I did some searching around and came up with an idea based on two different dishes incorporated with my love of twice baked potatoes. I think I will roast the sweet potatoes the day before, and scoop out the flesh. This I will smash up with a mix of roasted veggies (fennel, red onion & carrot) and a maple, jalapeno sour cream mixture, and then stuff the mixture back into the potato skins. (I envision the tofutti sour cream blended with fresh jalapeƱo and real maple syrup in my magic bullet.) I can have these made and in a baking dish, covered in the fridge, and ready to put in the oven just before the turkey comes out on T-Day, and they should be sizzling and ready just in time for dinner. So a brand new recipe, never tried, but it feels right enough that it's debut will be on Thanksgiving. I can hardly wait! Now to update the ever-growing shopping list.

No comments: