Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Orenda Balance Spray, Day 2


BE SURE TO VOTE TODAY

Breakfast: Spinach, walnut, pear smoothie. As with this morning's drink, sometimes my smoothie components are based on what fruit is ripe and needs to be used up, or what nuts\seeds are left in the fridge. I try to always use flax or walnuts in the AM, to be sure to get my omega 3's in early. The latest research I heard shows we can only absorb so many omegas, and if we load up on 6's or 9's first, there goes the chance for the 3's we need. Not eating very much bread and limiting my whole grains limits the possibilities for that happening, but I do so much better getting the 3's in , why chance it. But back to the fruit choice, when I am using something like pear that has a lower MANDI score, I add in a shot of my Orenda Oki to pump up the nutrients. Based on Aronia berry powder that is re hydrated with Aloe Vera, I think this is the best superfood drink available.

Lunch plans: typical salad - this is pretty much a standard. Today I left out the romaine and used more arugula, then mixed in more cabbage. Lots of cauliflower, half an orange bell pepper, a huge green onion, 1/2C garbanzo beans, 1/2oz pepitas, and a serving of Sesame Miso dressing. When I use bottled dressings I have a couple of rules; 1. No HFCS and 2. Low fat, as in less than 10% of calories from fat. There are exceptions, if the fat is a healthy fat from nuts, seeds or avocado the ratio could be more, but you don't see that too often. A lack of healthy dressings used to be a big problem for me - trying to eat a large salad with 2T of unhealthy dressing just didn't work. When I started making my own dressings it was a big change for the better. Right now I'm trying to clear out the fridge and using up all the bottled dressings is a part of that. A good trick with bottled dressings is to cut them with vinegar; I use rice vinegar for that usually since it is so mild. Anyway, it cuts calories so I can use a larger serving. While I applaud those who can enjoy their salads naked, that's not usually me :)

I need to remember for my evening salad that I've already used up my ounce of healthy fat for the day and pass on any nuts or seeds. Also, I need to use my T of flaxmeal later - probably in my dessert shake as a thickening agent. I have my Balance Spray on the kitchen counter, a reminder to self that I can curb any errant thoughts of eating that might crop up. I am proofing a catalog today, and that type of work has triggered munching in the past so it's best to be prepared.

Dinner: left over curried cauliflower stoup and a lentil tostada. I love being able to toss a tortilla into the microwave and 90 seconds later have a fat free crisp corn tostada base. I also grabbed some lentils out of the freezer to heat up and added them to some fresh green pepper and tomato. Mixed with some hot sauce and piled on the tortilla this is a crunchy, spicy and filling addition to my dinner. I'm also having a small salad, but don't want to keep posting the same type of picture. I tend to use the same ingredients over and over from week to week - it's easier for me to keep it fresh that way and not end up with soggy icky things in the corner of my fridge to throw away later. Of note in this picture is the plate, I inherited the Franciscan set from my grandmother, and the bowls and salad plates are smaller than today's contemporaries making it easier to visualize healthier portions.
Dessert: Well, I planned on a fruit smoothie, but I heard the call of the fries, and baked some off. Cut thin, sprayed lightly with canola oil, and baked at 400 for 15 minutes (counting warm up period) these come out very crispy, and low in fat. And yes, there is a puddle of organic ketchup in the bottom of the bowl. Ketchup is one of those things that I splurge on organic, because it's the only one without the high fructose corn syrup in it. So a yummy treat to snack on while watching the election results come in; I am very pleased and have high hopes for our president elect.

No comments: