Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2021

BLE: Sweet Potato

Dinner was so delicious I wanted to write it down for future reference, even though it was mostly left overs.

What I had on hand:

  • Left over Cauliflower rice w/ lime & cilantro
  • Left over top sirloin that had been pounded, seasoned with taco spices, & BBQ'd
  • Left over Brussels Sprouts sautéed with onion
I cooked a huge sweet potato to make yam pudding in the morning for breakfast. There is probably enough for four breakfast puddings, and I will get it all prepped and ready to bake off in the morning. But in the meantime, I had the beautiful skin left over, and I immediately thought of stuffing it. The two halves of the skin had barely any potato clinging to them and still all told weighed 8.1 ounces. I diced up the left over Brussels sprouts and mixed in the left over cauliflower. I distributed the mixture over the two halves, bringing the total veggie weight up to almost 13 ounces - just shy of the 14 ounces on plan for dinner. But knowing the skin would be filling, I didn't worry about the small shortage of veggies.

Next, on each side I weighed out an ounce of left over steak that was spicy and already diced for use in salads. Then over that I weighed half an ounce of cheese on each side. That's my protein, 2 oz steak and 1 oz cheese. Oh, and I had added an ounce of butter split between the two skins.

Into the microwave for a few minutes to heat everything through, and dinner was done.

I am full and happy, the sweet potato was a great equalizer for how extra spicy the steak was, and the combination of flavours was delicious. I should have taken a picture, because it was also pretty with the dark red skin and the white melted cheese (Italian blend of parmesan, Motz, and Romano I think) over the diced steak.

I will definitely be making this again,  and eventually I will likely devise a healthier version.  While we usually count sweet potato as a grain and not a vegetable, I am rationalizing that the skin is so high in fiber and nutrients that it's an acceptable vegetable as I used it. As Susan says, there are no Bright Line Police, and I do realize this is a one off meal, not an everyday dinner.

Now to zone out in front of Tomb Raider on Netflix, cuz, you know, no Amazon this week!

No comments: