Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2021

BLE: Corned Beef and Cabbage

Dinner yesterday was so delicious, and I am having left overs for lunch today. I prepared the corned beef a little bit differently than usual, and it's amazing what small changes can evoke.

I started the usual way, rinsing and patting dry the roast, but this time I covered it in dijon mustard before setting it fat side up in the roasting pan. The pickling spices went on top, then I added a large sliced onion to the pan and about 2 cups of beef broth. Covered tightly in foil it went in a 350 degree oven for an hour. Pulling it out, I added in the next two onions, quartered this time, five really large carrots cut into chunks, about six medium red potatoes cut into quarters the long way, and one large cabbage also quartered topped the rest of the veg. 

Once again pressing the foil tightly on to the pan, it went back in the over for another two hours. (It was about a four pound roast.) Everything was perfectly tender and everything one could hope for on St. Paddy's Day. From my perspective at least. The change? The layer of mustard. And I will definitely do this again next year.

The past few days have flown by in a lazy sort of way. Cal had treatment  Tuesday and we are adjusting to the fallout. This time Chemo has him zipping around, wanting to be outside, and very demanding. Well, that last part isn't new, so it's just been a tiring week in more ways than one. We've been to the park, gardened in the back yard, and he's had multiple trips down the roller coaster in the driveway.

Not every night has been Bright, but most of them have been. I haven't been able to do my meditation 'homework' from my IFS program because Cal hasn't been napping until I'm off to the next job. No rest for the wicked, me or him.

And he needs more pancakes ( the food of choice this week) so I am off.


No comments: