Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

BLE: Sweet potato custard

 It was a long busy day, but the important part for this post is that there was not a can of pumpkin to be found at the grocery store. Nada, zip, zilch. And I wanted pumpkin custard for breakfast tomorrow. So I picked up a butternut squash, decided it would be too watery for custard, and grabbed a red garnet yam. Or sweet potato if you will.

This evening I cooked the yam in the microwave, and weighed it on the food scale. Checking the quantity for a serving of fruit, I realized that this was not counted as a fruit like pumpkin is, but as a grain. So started from scratch.

This is three each of grain and protein, plus a smidge of fruit: 12oz sweet potato, 4eggs, 8oz half n half (should have been milk but oh well), 1tsp vanilla, a healthy shake of pumpkin pie spice mix,  and 4oz of chopped medjool dates. The dates will be subtracted from whatever 6oz of fruit we add to breakfast. I was thinking of adding in a ripe banana, but no - wrong flavour profile. The custard is sitting in the fridge overnight so the dates will soften and I can whip them in with the immersion blender in the morning. Then I'll bake off the custards in a warm water bath for an hour at 350 for a hot luscious breakfast. This might be too sexy for a Bright Line Meal, but it is what it is. I'm also a little worried it will be too heavy of a breakfast, but time will tell.

Tired, but glad to have a bright day behind me after staying bright the night before. I think I am over a short lived rebellion after Joey's birthday and back on track. I can't believe it's been almost a year since I opted out of sugar and flour. Well, mostly opted out. There have been a few sidebars along the way. But I am still glad I've not regained any weight, glad I joined the Bright Line Freedom class, and glad to be making progress with my 'parts'. I still know this is the right thing to do, and still have confidence the weight will continue to come off.

I am no longer a person who eats sugar and flour; it's just not worth it.


No comments: