Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

BLE: pudding or custard?

 I posted the recipe yesterday for the sweet potato custard I made, but in retrospect I think it's actually yam pudding because there is a starch in play. In either case it was creamy and delicious. Filling but not heavy as I was worried about, and very satisfying. I asked myself the important questions; was it too sexy? Was I already thinking about the next time I could eat it? Is it triggering any cravings? So far the answers are no, and I'm feeling this is a win. It was less complicated than using pumpkin, and as I said, delicious. Not to mention the nutritional hit - this has to be better than cheese and crackers to break my fast. 

I had picked up a top round steak and stewed it with tomatoes, onions, and spinach in the instant pot late last week. When weighing out my meals I split the protein between the beef and black eyed peas. The red chilies that R had pickled and that I used in the pot made it a very spicy dish, and the beans help cut that. Then last night R made meatloaf (ground triscuits instead of bread crumbs) which was wonderful and there are also leftovers of that.

We have two tubs of salad fixings in the fridge ready to go, and it is comforting to know there is everything I need all prepped and ready to eat beautiful bright line meals for the next few days. I'm still cooking batches twice a week, this works well for me, and it's good to have the imperfect produce to steer me towards choices that won't waste food. Have I mentioned that I have never liked steamed greens? But I have discovered that I love spinach cooked with tomatoes, or wilted in soups or hash. It feels good to be getting more greens back in my diet, and I've been adding kale to the salad mixes too.

I have listened to the Food Freedom videos that are releases for free each year, and I am thinking of re-listening to the boot camp program. I was so stressed out during the initial boot camp that it wasn't very productive for me. I think listening to the modules then journaling about each one would be a nice little support vehicle. Maybe I'll go listen to the first one this weekend when I'm not rushed and see how I feel about it.

But now I am off for a Facebook Live presentation.

No comments: