Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Water Water Everywhere (1/30)

Yesterday I was up at 4:20am pulling on my  jeans and getting ready to drive my partner in to the emergency room; he had been having pains in his arm and needed to be checked out. Watching him go through all the testing at the hospital is my impetus for today's action. Just having lived through one of the most depressing periods of my life so far is probably the backbone of this decision; I am tired of being in pain and being depressed about it.

Having just watched most of the film 'Fat, Sick and nearly Dead' (damn internet) I had already been encouraged to go back to eating healthy. While I may not be able to stick to a juice fast for 60 days like he did, I am going to take encouragement from his swift return to health and implement a plan of my own, tailored to my needs, and beginning with a month of going back to the basics. I think starting my day with water first (see Water Cure) and then blending up a green smoothie  for breakfast will be my absolute morning ritual.  Something homemade and\or vegetarian for lunch at work and an apple to eat on the way home from work will take care of the afternoon. Then either a chopped salad or another green smoothie for dinner. This is the plan, one versatile enough to stick to, and strict enough to get fast results.

Drinking 3 cups of water each morning, 6 cups at work, and another 3 after work will bet me close to the 100oz that the water cure recommends for my weight. I know I have been running a little dehydrated lately anyway and need to get back into the habit of drinking more. I will count herbal tea towards my total; I often make a thermos of tea to drink at work, this morning I will measure how much I am actually taking so I can count it.

Green smoothies are easy, I've been drinking them for years and always feel better after just a couple of days. I attribute this to not just the greens but to the tablespoon of flax meal I add; I'm already looking forward to the emotional lift.

Cooking on weekends to have a batch of something health to take for lunches is easy and I will stick to that for the next month. No throwing up my hands and giving in to fast food temptation because I am frustrated at work. If the girls want to go out, there is always a healthy choice within walking distance. Saying no to grilled cheese will be easy, it's only recently I have been indulging more than is prudent and I think it's one of the main reasons I feel so crappy. Deadly Dairy!

Chopping on weekends will be a standard too; having a tub of chopped veggies to throw a salad together for dinner makes it a much easier choice. I do have to be careful with dressings and go back to making my own. There are so many wonderful flavours, I don't know why I stopped other than laziness. Well, the craving for fats plays some part here. I'm not sure why this is happening, a reaction to stress I think. I brought home a pound of butter last week (impulse buy) and it is already gone; toast and potatoes baby!

So there it is, a plan for the next four weeks, after which I hope to feel well enough to do a week of just green smoothies so I can really make a dent in how I feel.  What is driving this? Pain. Plain and simple. I am tired of being in pain every day and for my sanity's sake need to put a stop to it.

This morning's water is gone, and I am off to take charge of the rest of my day.

Status:  shoulder hurting, arm tingling.

No comments: