Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dose (2/30)

Yesterday I stuck to plan with the exception of a piece of buttered toast with honey. What can I say, it was the last lonely slice, and it sang my name so sweetly I had to succumb to it's siren call. Toast with a little butter (okay, more than a little) and a drizzle of honey is a wonderful dessert. But the rest of the day went according to plan. I drank all my water, stuck to my eating guide, and took a short walk at lunch. It was a frustrating day at work, colorful details herefrom deleted, but I kept my hand out of the candy dish and drank spicy tea from my thermos. I wasn't all that tempted, it was just a passing thought that I batted away.

Of note was the Cameo apple I ate on the way home from work - it was unexpectedly perfect for this time of year, I would guess it had to be the end of last year's crop. Sweet, crisp, juicy all at once with a hint of  earthly crab apple flavour. Well do I remember from my childhood taking the boat across the lake to the crab apple tree and munching on small green apples on the boat ride back. (They were perfect snacks or projectiles depending on the day.)

This morning I have just finished my 3 cups of water; it really is a wonderful way to break my fast, the cool water coursing through me in a very refreshing way. Sort of satisfying to feel my body respond in such an immediate and pleasant way.  Today's plan is much the same as yesterday. I have one more container of homemade veggie 'baked' beans to take for lunch, another apple to pack for the ride home, and enough chopped lettuce to throw together a quick salad for dinner.   I will have to do something this evening to prepare for tomorrow - maybe throw together a veggie soup. My granddaughter will be here for a bit and loves to help in the kitchen; I can find something for her to do to 'help', it will be fun.

Thinking back to yesterday, I think I forgot to mention that my plan includes 2 doses of healthy fat each day; 1T of ground flax meal in the morning smoothie and another small serving of nuts or seeds in the evening. Last night it was a small handful of sunflower seeds in my salad, I'm thinking pecans tonight. But the serving of flax meal in the morning is really one of the cornerstones of this plan. Without it I sink into depression so quickly, never noticing until about the third morning sans smoothie that I am having dark thoughts and feeling cranky. I expect by tomorrow after my third morning back on track that I will notice an improvement, and I don't care if it happens because of the omega 3's I'm feeding my brain and heart or because I make it happen by expecting it to happen, the fact that it will happen is enough for me.

My FITBIT is charged and clipped on, my plan in place for the day, and my mood already slightly elevated just because I am taking the time to care for myself. Later Gator.

No comments: