Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Covid-19 and Bright Line Eating

I have been sticking pretty close to my Bright Lines, but listening to some Bright Lifers share their thoughts on Covid-19 this afternoon made me think about this in a different perspective.  By eating three meals a day, and only the amount of food I need for a right sized body, I am only using exactly the resources I need - only my fair share so to speak. We don't know what our new reality is going to be like this Summer, but I can see that it may get worse before it gets better.

Will manufacturing plants keep operating adequately, will supply chains remain intact. Right now we still have some shelves in the grocery store that are stripped bare - mostly from panic and everyone trying to take care of their own. And in theory these shelves will be restocked. But pasta and toilet paper - you don't see much of those yet. And while I don't eat pasta, my family does, and it is usually a low cost option when times are tight.

And will farmers be able to keep up with demand if processed foods are not as accessible. So many questions, but not many answers in this unprecedented pandemic. The first one to hit when science and knowledge are giving us a fighting chance. Not that all humans are using these tools; I'm not the only one who cringed at the crowded Spring break beaches. And there were two parties in our neighborhood this past weekend. Seriously NOT global minded humans.

Part of me is very callous, and has read enough on the overpopulation of the world to know that ultimately this is probably a good thing to thin the crowd. But my heart is not behind the thought.

I am still dumbfounded by the idiocy of our president, and proud of the companies who are showing up in a time of crisis despite his refusal to address this better at the Federal level. And so grateful for those on the front lines at hospitals. What would we do without them. The extra precautions when C goes for treatment is hard on his parents, but ultimately for their own good.

I am thankful we have our jobs, that C has been able to continue treatment, and that A is getting some schoolwork done. There are many who have been harder hit than we have, and I should give thanks every day that we are maintaining some semblance of normalcy. But we adjust so rapidly to this new order that it sometimes slips my mind that there are those who are suffering, having lost jobs or family, or both. And then there is something we need from the store, and for a few hours I lean towards panic before calming once more and remembering to be grateful for what we have.

Speaking of which, I am glad we started up the imperfect produce deliveries so that fruit and veggies are delivered each week. It's incentive to use up what's available before the next delivery comes, and reduces our trips out for groceries. Having Bright Lines to keep helps me use up what's on hand. I wish the rest of the family had a similar mind set, but that's not my business. My business is doing what I can to take care of myself, and that starts with my food. I almost took a walk the other day, but watering the tomatoes was enough movement - regular exercising is on the horizon, just not here yet.

One more thought to share. Following my Bright Lines is an affirmation of my future self. That there will be one, and that sheltering in place is not a stagnant time, but a time during which I can make progress, and feel like I am accomplishing something instead of stagnating.

I am blessed. Between work and family there is no boredom here.




No comments: