Search This Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2012

January in California

Finally the weather feels like it should; sunny and bright and beautiful with a cool touch to the breeze. And for this to all happen on a Sunday is just ... Bliss.  I pumped up the air in my bike tires and took it for a spin down to the pond. I also took my new video camera and shot a few minutes of winter wetlands, I'll upload it if I can figure out how to get it from the camera to the computer.  Home to salad for lunch, walking the dog, and most recently pruning the roses in front of the house.

I had to get out and move, my neck and back are so tight from all the computer work I do Monday thru Friday my body is feeling about a hundred instead of only a little past half that much.

Yesterday I made a batch of veggie base and used part of it in last night's spaghetti and the the rest is simmering away with lentils for tonight's dinner. Between the two meals I will have healthy lunches all week too, so I feel I have accomplished much for a change.  Now to finish the laundry and the dishes and I will be ready for another week of the J.O.B.

Veggie Base: Dice all veggies and do a slow saute in 2T canola or olive oil ( I did 50/50) stirring occasionally until veggies just begin to caramelize on the bottom. Add each veggie as you finish dicing in the chopping order below.
1C each onion & then celery
2 large stalks Bok Choy
1C carrots
4 oz spinach

With this you can make a variety of soups and sauces throughout the week, or use it to make a couple of big batches like I am doing this weekend.  Depending on what you have planned, you can blend this or use it as is.

Big sigh, back to farming, laundry and dishes. It's just not enough but I have to start somewhere.

No comments: